Besides WordPress, Opencart is also an ideal CMS (content management system) for today’s e-commerce sites with more advanced features. So what is Opencart? What makes them more special than WordPress? And should you design a website with Opencart or not? Let’s find out with MasteringWP.
What is Opencart?
OpenCart is an open-source e-commerce platform that allows individuals and businesses to create and manage online stores. It provides a user-friendly interface and a wide range of features to help users set up and customize their online shops without requiring extensive technical knowledge.
This platform is built using PHP and uses a MySQL database to store information. It provides various themes and extensions that allow users to customize the appearance and functionality of their online stores.
Opencart outstanding features
OpenCart stands out in the realm of e-commerce platforms due to its exceptional features tailored to streamline online business operations. With an intuitive admin interface, even non-technical users can effortlessly manage products, customers, and orders. This simplicity extends to its diverse collection of themes and templates, enabling users to create visually captivating online stores that align with their brand identity. OpenCart’s extensive extension marketplace offers a plethora of add-ons, from diversified payment gateways to marketing tools, empowering businesses to tailor their store functionalities according to their needs.
Its prowess in product management shines through, allowing efficient product addition, attribute specification, and inventory control. OpenCart’s multilingual and multi-currency support fosters global reach, while SEO optimization enhances search engine visibility. Moreover, its responsive design ensures a seamless shopping experience across devices. The platform encourages customer engagement through reviews, ratings, and enticing discounts. OpenCart also prioritizes security with SSL support and encryption. Altogether, OpenCart emerges as a user-friendly, customizable, and secure e-commerce solution with a vibrant community and integrative possibilities for seamless business growth.
Reviews of Opencart
Opencart is an open-source
As an open source CMS using PHP language, Opencart is currently the leading e-commerce solution today. Opencart makes it easy for users to set up custom interfaces with Build Theme, incorporating more features compatible with e-commerce such as discounts, coupons, etc.
Opencart is a shopping cart system
This has developed a robust store management module system, thereby creating the foundation for customers to have an “online shopping cart” for limitless online shopping and payment in various currencies.
Opencart has rich features
Besides the notable advantages mentioned above, Opencart also has many other features such as:
- Owning a “cart” function, helping customers to buy many products at the same time and pay easier (can be combined with a discount program if any).
- Earn points for loyal customers.
- Gift Coupons.
- Classify product categories clearly.
- Super good SEO support with meta tags, product description tags.
- Allows payments in different currencies.
- Put agent/store information clearly on the e-store.
- Backup and restore.
- Easy-to-use management interface with many modern and extended features.
- Daily activity statistics help you come up with a better implementation plan.
Pros and Cons of Opencart
Opencart is a powerful CMS but it still has its own advantages and disadvantages, because any CMS source code is created to serve its own community. The advantages and disadvantages below will help you determine if your website is really more suitable for this source code than others. Help you decide whether to design a web with Opencart or not?
Pros of Opencart
- Ability to manage multiple stores at the same time.
- Sales couldn’t be easier for both users and developers.
- Fully supports the features that many websites are available, combined with some specialized functions for sales
- Developer can easily customize the interface with a huge library of modules and interfaces
- In case of an emergency, Opencart can backup and restore your data right away.
- Allows the use of multiple languages, has an affiliate marketing application (recruiting partners to increase sales profits).
Cons of Opencart
- When using vqmod it is easy to get errors.
- Opencart’s module is still rigid and not flexible
- The feature store is wide but not enough, it must be updated in the long run.
Opencart vs WordPress, which is better?
Deciding between OpenCart and WordPress for your online store depends on your specific needs, preferences, and technical expertise. Both platforms have their strengths and weaknesses, so let’s compare some key aspects to help you make an informed decision:
- E-Commerce Focus: OpenCart is primarily designed for e-commerce. It comes with built-in e-commerce features and tools, making it well-suited for businesses focused on selling products online.
- Out-of-the-Box E-Commerce Functionality: OpenCart offers native features for product management, order processing, payment gateways, and shipping methods, making it a quicker setup for an online store.
- Simplicity: OpenCart’s user-friendly admin interface makes it accessible for users with limited technical skills to manage and customize their online store.
- Extensions and Themes: OpenCart provides a variety of extensions and themes specific to e-commerce needs, allowing you to add functionality and customize the design of your store.
- Scalability: While OpenCart can handle medium-sized stores, it might face limitations in handling very large-scale e-commerce operations.
- Versatility: WordPress is a versatile platform that can be used for various types of websites, including blogs, portfolios, and e-commerce. It uses plugins like WooCommerce to enable e-commerce functionality.
- Content and Blogging: If you plan to combine your online store with extensive content or blogging, WordPress offers powerful content management capabilities.
- Customization: WordPress is highly customizable, allowing you to create unique designs and functionalities through a vast range of themes and plugins.
- Community and Support: WordPress has a large and active community, offering extensive support, documentation, and resources for users at all levels.
- Learning Curve: While setting up a simple WordPress website is relatively easy, dealing with more complex e-commerce configurations might require a steeper learning curve, especially if you’re not familiar with WordPress.
In summary, if your primary focus is e-commerce and you’re looking for an out-of-the-box solution, OpenCart could be a good fit. On the other hand, if you value versatility, content integration, and have some technical familiarity, WordPress with WooCommerce might be a better choice. It’s essential to evaluate your specific requirements, future growth plans, and the level of customization and control you desire when making your decision.
OpenCart is a robust and accessible e-commerce platform that caters to businesses seeking to establish a dynamic online presence. With its user-friendly administrative interface, even those with limited technical expertise can efficiently manage products, orders, and customers. The platform’s extensive collection of customizable themes and extensions allows users to create visually appealing and feature-rich online stores that suit their unique branding and functionality requirements. OpenCart’s dedication to e-commerce functionality is evident through its integrated tools for inventory management, payment processing, shipping options, and SEO optimization. With a supportive community and its status as an open-source solution, OpenCart empowers businesses to build and expand their digital storefronts with confidence.
In essence, OpenCart stands as an e-commerce solution that balances simplicity and versatility. It offers an array of out-of-the-box features while also providing room for customization and growth. Whether for small startups or established enterprises, OpenCart serves as a capable platform for bringing products and services to the online marketplace effectively.